Sometimes it might be worth investing in some home improvements with a view to profiting from a higher sale price. This price needs to give you back more than you spent and make up for the hassle.
For the best chance of success, any improvements need to stick to a sensible budget whilst being able to excite their target market, so having a good eye and good trades (or able to do yourself) is important.
Some points to consider:
- It is true that amazing kitchens and bathrooms help to sell property better than other rooms. These do not have to be top of the range but should not look cheap. Often you do get what you pay for but having a good eye for the latest trends, layout and quality of the fitting and finishing can make a massive difference to the overall feel.
- For best results try to create a ‘wow’ factor that people fall in love with and want.
- Open plan kitchen, dining, living is very popular.
- Don’t forget the garden especially if you have just ‘brought the outside in’ with some lovely new bi-fold doors.
- Take inspiration from home magazines, observing latest trends and colours.
- Ensure the decorating is done to a high standard.
- Accessorise well to dress the room e.g. pictures, flowers, cushions, plants, especially if gone for a very neutral palette.
- Most people want a bath in a bathroom, especially in family homes.
- Garages are used for storage more than for cars. If you convert a garage make sure the new room is more desirable than a garage to buyers, and that you have a replacement (downstairs) storage solution, e.g. space for a large shed that would not dominate the garden.
- Similarly, loft conversions only where suitable, if this creates a fourth bedroom in a three bedroom house you may be creating a top heavy house (not enough living space compared to bedrooms).
- Make sure you get planning consent (or get it in writing that it does not need planning consent) and building regulations otherwise you will thwart the legal process when you sell.
If you are not confident in your abilities it may be better to sell the property as it is and save the time and the money.